Posted on 07 August 2017

 Tags: blog 

Apologies for the delayed update. There's been a lot going on with school holidays etc. I've got quite a bit done on the camper, just not been able to update the blog! Here's where I'm at...

Castor Wheels

I put some castor wheels onto the home-made wooden "pallet" I used to build the frame. It's so nice to able to move it around - wish I done it weeks ago!

Castor Wheels

It meant lifting the camper off the frame using ratchet straps so I could slide it out. It's not a good way of lifting anything as you cannot "jack" it back down easily. Pushing the buckle back simply releases the tension.

Front Door

More Alupanel and box tube employed to make this. The door is slightly thinner (20mm) than the rest of the frame but is almost flush with the front when closed against the weather seal (it sticks out about 5mm). There is a piano hinge at the bottom and a Southco locking latch at the top, similar to those used for the access doors.

Front Door

Door closes against some 25mm self-adhesive sponge-neoprene. Same as used on the lid.

Front Door

Originally the door was going to have the steps on the outside, so when closed you could still open the fridge. But now the fridge is in it should clear as long as the door steps are not too wide.

I'm getting the hang of folding the Alupanel now. In the pic below is the mini circular saw I've used to cut all the panels. It's a VonHaus but there are many other makes out there. A Guide Clamp is useful too.

Front Door

The usual mess!

Front Door

Countersink rivets on the edges

The latch is not really suited for thin material, so I made a spacer from 50x25mm channel.

Front Door

One small issue. Inside the camper there's no way to lock or unlock the latch, so a catch is also needed on the inside to keep the door closed 🙄

Getting the door finished was a milestone and I feel like there's an end in sight. Yes, there are a good few jobs yet to do: jacks (to lift it from truck), cupboards to finish etc., but the last big job is the tent. Once that's done we're almost good to go.

Table

Table

I bought another length of "worktop" (actually an Ikea end-panel) to make the table. It's 1000x600mm and about 12mm thick, so needs some support to double as a bed.

I started out with some bracket mounts mounted to the upright box sections. These are screwed into rivnuts. There's an additional length of angle underneath the uprights, plus two more in front of the seats to support the table for a bed or when travelling.

Table

Table

The brackets are 470mm long

I then cut the table from 8mm ply and glued/screwed to bond it to the base of the panel. I cut it 5mm narrower each side so that edging could be added.

Table

Table

Lastly, a length of angle across the front and flat strip along the sides. Here is is lowered. Needs a box under the table to store the cushion.

Table

One thing that needs improving is to reinforce the joints at the top of the uprights. As you put weight on the table there is some flex there so I'll put some stainless angle brackets on each side.

Vents for gas bottle and fridge

Lastly I added a couple of vents to the front. On the left is where the gas bottle is, so sensible to vent that. On the other side, heat from the fridge compressor can also escape.

Vents

Next

The tent is next - at least the frame for it. I'm playing around with various tubing but not sure what to use:

  • Aluminium
  • Galvanised steel
  • Stainless steel

Each has its own advantages/disadvantages. But ideally needs to be strong yet relatively easy to work with.

Back soon...