Posted on 15 April 2018

 Tags: blog 

Now outside, the camper has been given a good dose of winter weather and a few leaks have been apparent. All of them could have been avoided with a line of silicone sealant where the corners are rivetted. The only solution was to drill out all rivets, squeeze on a line of sealant and refit them. Lesson learned for sure 😫

Steps 2

Now weatherproof, I fitted the steps, add some lino to the floor and waterproofed the tent.


Steps

I bought an "Abru 36000" loft ladder a few months ago. It was the smallest I could find and only needed about 3 rungs. To attach it to the door required four small brackets made from 25mm angle, bolted to the inside of the door frame. Across these were rivetted two lengths of box-tube onto which the ladder will be screwed to.

The opening is 1150mm tall, so the top of the upper and lower sections were cut, plus about 20mm to clear the top of the door frame.

Steps 3 Steps 4 Steps 5

It works OK but there are some minor issues. It's not easy to close the door from the inside. Some kind of cord or lever would help there. And when the door is closed, the ladder needs to be opened half way to open the fridge door.

Floor

I went to B&Q, a local DIY store and got 2 packs of "Dark Oak" self adhesive floor planks and stuck them on the floor.

Floor Tiles

Waterproof Tent

There's some great tips on the Expedition Portal called Rooftop Tent Fabrics and Care. Here they recommend giving the tent a soak with a hose to allow the cotton to swell and seal the stiching.

Once dry I got some Fabsil Universal Protector and applied it to the tent with a sponge and let that dry in.

It didn't take long to test it! The heavens opened Saturday night (April 7) and it rained constantly for two days, day and night. The waterproofing held up well and inside was completely dry. Not even the zips let water through. However the bottom started to wick where the tent meets the camper body.

Water Test 1 Water Test 2

When it all dried out I applied the Fabsil on the inside of the bottom edges too. That's not tested yet, but should be good.

Next

There's plenty of small jobs to do, but given the weather is set to improve I want to get it ready for a trip to test it out. Externally it's good to go, but inside it needs a few things to finish off:

  • Storage: get the drawer insides done for cutlery, cups, saucepans, etc. Same goes for the food storage.
  • Matresses to sleep on
  • Fix the water filler (as I lost the key) 🙄