Posted on 21 August 2017
After experimenting with various bits of tube, about 20mm diameter seemed right. I got 2 samples of aluminium tube from Metals4U and 1.6mm wall thickness is stiff enough and easy to work with.
I had ordered 4 lengths of 5m but unfortunately that's not what arrived, so I'll have to wait another week until that's sorted out. In the mean time I made the frame mountings. These are fixed to the corners and the tent frame hinges from it.
The brackets are 20-25mm Cylinder Clevis Foot Mounts I picked up from eBay. This was how they were going to be fitted, but I could not rivet it from below as there was not enough space for the rivet gun.
Over to Plan B which was to rivet and solder angle to the square edges. The result looks ugly but is rigid enough. Should have fitted these before putting the sides on...
Here's the finished mount with my frame test piece fitted.
Two long ones and a short one. There will be two hoops on the camper side, one extends the full length and will raise by about 30 degrees. The second, shorter hoop is raises 90 degrees providing 900mm height. The third and final hoop is on the lid and raises 30 degrees to mirror the camper side. Here's an old sketch that explains it much easier...
That's it for now. Back soon, hopefully with the frame done.